(a Sarah Raven recipe, passed on by Susie)
Good for all those extra tomatoes, especially if you’ve been growing your own.
- 1.5kg ripe tomatoes
- 2 large onions, quartered
- Generous drizzle of olive oil, Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 teasp grated ginger
- ½ small red chilli , chopped
- Bunch of Coriander, leaves and stems chopped
- 300ml tomato juice (I didn’t use this as I didn’t have any, water as liquid replacement works well as the soup is very rich anyway.
- 2 x 400g tins coconut milk (I used less as this is very rich)
- 1 rounded tbsp. soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Roast the tomatoes (skin on) and onions with seasoning and oil for 40 mins or so until slightly browned on the edges. Oven 180C / Gas Mark 4.
- Gently fry the garlic,ginger,chilli and coriander – 3 mins
- Add tomato juice or water and coconut milk
- Add tomatoes, onions,sugar,fish sauce and seasoning. Cover and gently simmer 10 mins
- Serve with fresh Coriander.